Note: This is part 2 of a 2 part blog series. If you missed the first part, go hear to read first !

Any driver with a few rides under their belt can probably predict with 100% accuracy their first interactions with a passenger about to get into their vehicle.

“So, do you drive full-time, or do you have another job?”

If I (Ben) had to guess, about 85% of my passengers ask me this question. The other 15% are either drunk, mute, don’t speak English, or all of the above.

My answer to that question is kind of boring. “No, this isn’t my full-time gig. I work in sales by day. Driving for Uber/Lyft is a hobby of mine.” That usually satisfies the passenger’s curiosity. Some ask me questions about what I sell (office equipment, if you’re wondering) and if it is anything like the TV sitcom The Office (it is, more than you know!)

If I wasn’t such an upstanding citizen with a professional reputation to maintain, I would probably have some fun with answering that question.


“So, do you do this full-time?”

“Nope. I’m actually the mascot for the local minor league baseball team.”


“Yep. Secret’s out. Your Uber driver is actually the Whitecaps mascot.”



“Yep, this is my full-time job. I’ve been driving since 6am this morning.”

“Wow, man, that’s dedication! It’s midnight and you’re still out???”

“Heck yes I am! I am a legend. I don’t need sleep. Sleep is for newbie drivers.”


Oh the stories I could tell, if I wasn’t such an honest guy.

I think it is time for rideshare passengers to come up with a new talk track. I’m getting bored with the current line of questions. Can’t you be a little more creative so I don’t have to be tempted to lie? If no, then don’t mind if I complete your questioning sentence before you finish speaking the next time I pick you up.


Cheers, and rideshare on!

Ben, your GR Rideshare Blogger !